Friday, October 26, 2007

Expensive Hair

DALLAS - A hair lock snipped from Ernesto “Che” Guevara before his burial in 1967 sold for $100,000 at auction Thursday to a Houston-area bookstore owner who called the Marxist “one of the greatest revolutionaries of the 20th century.” -from msn.com

Wow, I'm glad I live in a world where people have 100 grand to blow on a 40 year old lock of hair. Seriously, that is more than I make in 2 years. And the article even went on to say that it might not even be Che's hair. 100 grand for a lock of hair that may or may not belong to a famous person. How many Somalian children could have eaten off that money in a year? I went to the birthplace of Karl Marx a few years back. Guess what I did. I snapped a picture.
The whole idea of auctions like this grate on my sense of financial pragmatism.

No comments: